Shirley Parsons is working with a globally recognized research institution at the forefront of groundbreaking discoveries and innovations. Our client’s commitment to scientific excellence and the pursuit of knowledge has earned them a reputation as a leader in the world of research and development. The institution is currently seeking an Electrical Safety Specialist to join the team in Berkeley, CA. As an Electrical Safety Specialist, you will play a crucial role in ensuring the safety and reliability of electrical systems and equipment within our research facilities. You will handle developing, implementing, and maintaining electrical safety (LO/TO) programs, conducting assessments, and providing guidance to researchers and staff to ensure compliance with safety regulations. This role requires a keen eye for detail, a strong commitment to safety, and the ability to collaborate with multidisciplinary teams to create a secure work environment.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive electrical safety programs and policies to ensure LO/TO compliance with national and local regulations.
- Conduct routine inspections and assessments of electrical systems, equipment, and installations to identify potential hazards and recommend corrective actions.
- Provide training and guidance to employees, researchers, and contractors on electrical safety practices, procedures, and compliance with established protocols.
- Collaborate with emergency response teams to develop and implement protocols for responding to electrical emergencies and accidents.
- Maintain accurate records of safety inspections, incident reports, and training records in accordance with institutional and regulatory requirements.
- Stay updated with relevant codes, standards, and regulations related to electrical safety and ensure compliance within the organization.
- Perform risk assessments to identify and mitigate electrical hazards, and implement safety measures accordingly.
- Evaluate the safety of electrical equipment, tools, and devices used in research activities and recommend replacements or upgrades as necessary.
- Proactively identify opportunities for improvement in electrical safety procedures, equipment, and processes, and work with relevant teams to implement changes.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Safety, or a related field. Advanced degrees and certifications are a plus.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in electrical safety or a related field, with a strong understanding of electrical codes and standards.
- Must have a working knowledge of and demonstrated ability to apply OSHA, DOE, NFPA, and IEEE electrical safety requirements.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with a diverse group of professionals.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- Attention to detail and the ability to work independently and in a team.
- Commitment to safety and the ability to promote a culture of safety within the organization.